Thursday 1 January 2009

On the Destroyed Atom of Midnight



Here is my entry for Carly's challenge to show anything that measures time.

Follow this link to join in or view the other entries.


For added credit my clock shows my favourite time~the start of a new day. Do I get a bonus for the fact it shows the start of a new month and year as well?



No mouse runs up or down this clock,
No strident tone struck the hour that past,
It can never be slow or a second too fast,
Unseen waves that no walls can block
Hold the time it tells to the silent decay
Of an atom circling this fragile earth,
Has this accuracy lost anything of worth?
Who wants a mouse or cuckoo today?


No one wants a cuckoo that would sing,
No one wants a mouse that could bring,
A remembrance from nature that tells
The lies hidden within our human shells,
The atom that died to welcome this year,
I may have almost seen quite clear,
If I can ever bring a word to a song,
And place it where it might belong.

5 comments:

Libby's Library said...

Hey Liz - If I had any points to give...they'd all be yours. Love the clock. You need to share you "techy" friend with me. I could use some help spicing up my blog. I'd really like to learn some new things this year!

Connie said...

Love that prose!!!

Carly said...

Hi Liz

Hon, sometimes I think you can read my mind. My original idea for the extra credit portion was to ask folks to snap a photo at exactly midnight on New Year's Eve, but I thought it would be too much to ask. You photographed the the beginning of everything new to perfection! You get extra credit for sure, and with the wonderful poem to go with it, you gave us a cool new look at the New Year! Well done!

-Carly

Suzanne R said...

Very clever poetry and application to the ringing in of the New Year!

Karen Funk Blocher said...

Another perfect photo, and another poem to love. It didn't even occur to me to record that magical minute!